Re: [LUG] Linux on the Desktop - again ..

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Kevin Lucas wrote:

As far as docx files go I've never had one crash (I use Linux
exclusively at work). I have had an issue with images showing up from
time to time though.

Feel free to try this one: http://unicorn.drogon.net/xxx.docx

Opens fine 15 pages with some "text box formatting errors"
Fedora 14 with OpenOffice 3.3.0

I guess OOo have improved things since 3.2.1 in Debian 6...

have you the MS fonts package installed?

I doubt it, however it is not a font issue, but to do with the add-on package they used to produce the footnotes (at least that's the best I can come up with based on some googling and the output of the convertor I used).

The big issue for me isn't so much that it failed to read the file in, but that it actually crashed OOo rather than have it put up a simple message saying something like "sorry - this file contains advanced microsoft widgetry that I really can't decode"...

If a data file can crash a program then you have a sloppy program - isn't this what we've been whinging about proprietary software for years now? It's creeping into Linux. Ah well, just turn it off and back on again...

Gordon