Re: [LUG] OSs

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011, Kevin Lucas wrote:

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 22:17 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
On 14/08/11 13:06, Kevin Lucas wrote:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html

you can also install the brother Cups and lpr utils from your pacakage
a manger
Just Search for Brother in the Add Programs search box

I don't think Debian ship any Brother driver (apt-cache search shows
nothing).

But we have a similar printer to George and I got it working from the
package from Brother you linked to.

I seem to remember having to fiddle around a bit with Debian Squeeze as
the packages weren't up to date, but when I looked inside they were just
scripts so I used the "force" option and it all worked fine. If George
gets stuck I will have notes somewhere.

 Simon

Thats odd
I have it on Mint
sudo apt-cache search brother

etc.

I remember when printing used to be easy - you ran lpd, send postscript to it and it sent it to a printer, and if the printer didn't support postscript, you plumbed ghostview (which had a driver for most printers at the time), into lpd and off it went.

Now, I'm almost thinking that Apple is doing something right by inventing "driverless" printing. (although they'll patent it and sue everyone else who tries to use it, but that's another matter)

It's thanks to lpd that I got into Unix & C - my first summer job when at uny was modifying lpd for our local PDP11/Unix v6 system...

Gordon