Re: [LUG] ms to offer $250,000 to anyone who can secure windows

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Guy Backhouse wrote:
> There has got to be a hidden intent there; perhaps Microsoft would
> patent any such development thus making the prize monies somewhat
> insignificant to other later profits?

Giving out bug bounties, i.e. paying money to those who find bugs in
your software/systems, has become quite common. Google, Mozilla and
Facebook all do it. Microsoft didn't and people were expecting them to
start doing it but they decided to take a different approach. I
haven't read the details of the prize, nor do I know much about memory
safety, but it sounds like a good idea to use the wisdom of the crowd,
even if I intuitively prefer bug bounties.

Martijn.