Re: [LUG] ms to offer $250,000 to anyone who can secure windows

Isn't this flogging a dead horse?

http://www.microsoft.com/security/bluehatprize/

... to tackle memory safety vulnerabilities....

Well Windows Vista has ASLR, NX Execution if hardware supports it,
software DEP (i.e. machine code validation), and no doubt various other
little features, and memory safety is still a big issue....

I'm sure one could enhance the machine code validation, and this is
likely to be a route to the prize, and if you can reimplement memory
allocation you might be able to add some more features.

However at some point we probably ought to do what the DOD did a long
time ago (and vaguely abandoned for some purposes) and switch to
programming in languages which either do runtime checking, or are easier
to validate. Validation seems like the smart route to me, since then you
don't sacrifice performance, and then we can probably eradicate some of
these other checks (which do impact performance, be it ever so marginal
by the standards of when these languages were invented).

What we need is a programming language like C and C++ which has good
validation features, and less of the problem features. Hmm surely
someone has invented one of those already ;)

Still if you want a fun problem, try taking the Android approach to
Windows - it will break a lot of existing code - but it offers some
vague chance of a prize that if you win might cover a fraction of your
costs.