Re: [LUG] Barcode scanners

there is already an app for this I read it in a Linux User mag about 4
years ago.

I use a Acan type FG 8100  scanner, Has usb from
http://s.dealextreme.com/search/Acan+type+FG+8100

I think it's about Â28.00

you don't need any software and it's not a Keyboard wedge but it just
inputs in to a  form as if it was typed

I use it for my POS in the Tearoom

then use a Prog like
this

http://orangecd-suite.software.informer.com/

taken from
here
http://linux.software.informer.com/download-linux-music-cd-catalog-database/

to scan in the barcodes

On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 18:53 +0100, Joe Buckle wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 18:13 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > I have a fairly large collection of music CD's (classical) and I am
> > wondering about setting up a database of some sort to keep track of them.
> >
> > It has occurred to me that, as they all have a bar code on the case, I
> > could use a scanner to read in the information to avoid a load of typing!!
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestion, ideas for me please? And what about
> > the software needed?
> >
> > Also, having Googled around, there seems to be a scarcity of software
> > for storing the data from classical music on CD's. Any help there please?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Neil Winchurst
> >
> It's possible to do this globally
>
> Export your barcode information to a global server
> (http://barcode4j.sourceforge.net/2.1/barcode-xml.html)
>
> Then server side application with an XML parser (it's really easy to
> setup an XML parser these days) - collect and store the XML results to
> the database (perhaps MySQL (the great thing about XML is you can keep
> it live all the time, so its continuously updating to change)). Inject
> all newly parsed XML data into MySQL. Then, write a PHP application to
> display the results.
>
> That's what I would try to do, but I'm sure there is an easier way of
> doing it locally :)
>
> Joe

Regards

Kevin Lucas