Re: [LUG] Barcode scanners

On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 18:13 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have a fairly large collection of music CD's (classical) and I am
> wondering about setting up a database of some sort to keep track of them.
>
> It has occurred to me that, as they all have a bar code on the case, I
> could use a scanner to read in the information to avoid a load of typing!!
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion, ideas for me please? And what about
> the software needed?
>
> Also, having Googled around, there seems to be a scarcity of software
> for storing the data from classical music on CD's. Any help there please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil Winchurst

It's possible to do this globally

Export your barcode information to a global server
(http://barcode4j.sourceforge.net/2.1/barcode-xml.html)

Then server side application with an XML parser (it's really easy to
setup an XML parser these days) - collect and store the XML results to
the database (perhaps MySQL (the great thing about XML is you can keep
it live all the time, so its continuously updating to change)). Inject
all newly parsed XML data into MySQL. Then, write a PHP application to
display the results.

That's what I would try to do, but I'm sure there is an easier way of
doing it locally :)

Joe