Re: [LUG] Shared Calendars?

On 08/07/11 14:57, Gordon Henderson wrote:

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011, Martin Gautier wrote:

On 08/07/11 13:15, Gordon Henderson wrote:
Been pointed in the direction of http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php so I'll give that a go this afternoon.

Cheers,

Gordon
Looks interesting. But can it write calendar entries from iCalendar enabled clients?

Having researched this sort of thing quite a bit in the past, that's the tricky bit - and actually the most useful, Lotus Domino/MS Exchange killer.

It claims to be able to import stuff, but the mechanisms appears to be by posting to a web url - not knowing much about this, I don't know if that's how it's done anyway...

It can export iCal and vCal by clicking a link, but there appears to be an rss feed for export too, but again, I really don't know how it's actually done in other systems.

It's pretty ugly though.

Obviously not an issue for you if they're going to use the web interface as you specified.

PHPiCalendar is similar and is what I use on my Intranet (read-only).

Might have a look at that too. If you want access to my test setup, drop me an email offlist.

Gordon

Yeah. Import and export tend to be one-off, completely over-write things. Maintaining a synchronised calendar (ala Thunderbird/Lightning <-> Groupware server) is tricky. Citadel and OBM can do it via an iCalendar API and then gives access to a "feed" which can be used by the likes of PHPiCalendar. That's how I do it.

There's also the OpenSync method - used by Funambol and an IMAP cheat used by Citadel and a Sync-Colab combo.

You could look at DaviCal Server but I don't think it does synchronisation, just import/export.

There's calendarserver in the debian/Ubuntu repos which exposes the caldav standard. I don't think TB can do that very well though.

I might need to revisit all my past research in view of the new TB5 & Lightning 1.04b but I'm pretty sure there's nothing helpfully new there...

Are your guys using an existing Webmail inteface? There might be a Calendar plugin for it. I know Horde has one but I'm not sure exactly what it gives you.

Martin