Re: [LUG] flyer

On 26/06/2011 22:07, Rob Beard wrote:
On 26/06/11 19:07, Paul Sutton wrote:

I installed OpenOffice at one of the schools I provide support for (I
install OpenOffice/Libre Office at every school I support along with
several other open source apps) - this particular school then requested
that I install the latest verion of MS Office (2010 Pro Plus) as 'people
cannot get along with it (OpenOffice)'.  Problems tend to mainly be the
handling of images in documents between the two suites, or rather, the
lack of it. Simple documents work well between the  two suites but
insert images etc, sounds etc and then you would think the world had ended!

I blame the likes of MS, Lotus et al for adding the fuctionality of
adding sounds, images and the like into the word processor....

Dave

Agreed, even though you can put sounds in documents in Open office,  who
were unable to get on with it,  the Students or teachers.

Is it possible to have both installed ?

Paul

Hang on, why would anyone want to put sounds into a WORD PROCESSOR document?

Seems a bit odd to me, it's not as if the printer can print them :-P

Rob

Seriously, you would be surprised at what gets put into a 'document'... bear in mind that these 'documents' are used as teaching aids - some of them can be quite complex and hence the problem with compatibility with any FLOSS offerings.

I guess it all depends on the target... maybe the developers should take a look at different market and provide different versions - business, home, education etc and tailor them to what the typical client within those sectors requires... hmmmm sounds very much the MS way doesn't it?

Dave