Re: [LUG] Survey on Linux computers

On 25/06/11 10:15, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 25/06/11 09:26, techservices wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to get some measure of opinion on thoughts about
>> retailers selling computers with Linux preinstalled, or at least
>> offered as an option. I just find myself scratching my head as to why
>> PC World et al don't have a Linux section. They've even stopped
>> selling boxed distro's of which I used to buy one per year.
>>
>> I have setup a survey on Survey Monkey
>>
>> http://svy.mk/lRpwMc
>
> Had to look to see what Splashtop was.
>
> Linux Foundation has worldwide trademarks on the the name "Linux", so a
> company using it would need a sub-license.
>
> I'd like to buy boxes guaranteed to "Just work" with Debian so I know
> laptops will hibernate, power saving will work, I don't care too much if
> it is pre-installed, although I suspect it would be a good idea to
> ensure everything anyone is likely to need is pre-installed (even if it
> is not Debian) since it opens the market to other purchasers who aren't
> so particular (and I might change my mind on my preferred distro in future).
>
>  Simon

Done,

Interesting what you have said here about PC world as we had a
discussion on this on IRC  a while back,   We certain;y need to up the
pressure.  I am struggling to come up with words for a flyer at the
moment. but will send another post for that one.

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

Open Mic nights - Wednesday 8pm to 11pm (14+) Free entry
Breakin' Ground - Street dance for young people (8+) Wednesday 6pm
(starts May 11th)

The Lighthouse,26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
01803 411 812 or e-mail  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more info.

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day