Re: [LUG] Survey on Linux computers

On 25/06/11 09:26, techservices wrote:

> I am trying to get some measure of opinion on thoughts about
> retailers selling computers with Linux preinstalled, or at least
> offered as an option. I just find myself scratching my head as to why
> PC World et al don't have a Linux section. They've even stopped
> selling boxed distro's of which I used to buy one per year.
>
> I have setup a survey on Survey Monkey
>
> http://svy.mk/lRpwMc

Had to look to see what Splashtop was.

Linux Foundation has worldwide trademarks on the the name "Linux", so a
company using it would need a sub-license.

I'd like to buy boxes guaranteed to "Just work" with Debian so I know
laptops will hibernate, power saving will work, I don't care too much if
it is pre-installed, although I suspect it would be a good idea to
ensure everything anyone is likely to need is pre-installed (even if it
is not Debian) since it opens the market to other purchasers who aren't
so particular (and I might change my mind on my preferred distro in future).

 Simon