Re: [LUG] IE8 borked?

On 09/06/11 09:16, tom wrote:

> I have got a work around to do what I wanted to (elem.type="text" IIRC)
> but proving IE8 is not dom compliant would be fun but I'm having trouble
> locating what might be the standard.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-DOM-Level-1-20000929/level-one-html.html#ID-6043025

DOM-Level-1 defines this as a read-only element.

Microsoft note it can be written once in IE5 before it is inserted into
the DOM, which is consistent with the DOM-Level-1 spec.

In DOM-level-2 spec the attribute "type" of HTMLinputElement is no
longer specified as read only.

http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#ID-6043025

The same spec also notes that the preferred way of setting attributes is
via a generic mechanism (I read that as preferring
"element.attribute["type"]="text", the reasoning is that not all
attributes of XML could be referred to as "element.attribute.name" in
valid ECMAscript.

So yes IE8 is almost certainly falling short of the DOM-Level-2-HTML
specification in this matter.

On the other hand as a programmer I write 'e.type="text"' rather than
'e.attribute["type"]="text"' because it is 13 characters shorter, maybe
I should get VIM to change them as I go (except for "type" on
InputElements - because it'll break in IE8).

Personally I marvel of the fact that diverse programs can implement
specs this large, for such complex behaviour and not have more security
and more compatibility issues than they already do.

Sometimes I think it would be wise to ignore it all, and just start
again - maybe some evil trick of writing you new browser in Java, and
stepping away from the whole "web" thing, and doing whatever one likes.