Re: [LUG] Hello.

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 09:31:58 +0000
Jack Oley wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I'd like to introduce myself; I'm Jack, a recent convert to the
> delights of all that is Linux.  I'm a former IT trainer and I
> currently work in the IT dept. of the main hospital in Exeter.
> Looking at the last few day's postings, it seems that the DCGLUG is
> replete with Linux experts!  So it seems unlikely that I'll be able
> to offer any advice at this stage, but I'm sure to have plenty of
> questions!  I'm currently studying for the CompTIA Linux+ exam with
> the OU (and a fat Sybex book...).

Linux+ is a good starting point.  One of the things I really dislike
about Comptia is that they don't *seem* to offer anything other than
"starting points".  Where is the Linux++ or Linux+++, etc, etc? :D

Took it myself a fairly long time ago.  Seems to cover a nice spread of
Linux tools and configurations.

> I've recently installed Ub 11.04 on my desktop, very nice, and
> Lubuntu on my little Eee netbook - seems quite good so far.

I have Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS on my main laptop and Debian Testing on my
other laptop.  I keep trying with Debian PPC on my 12" iBook, but it
doesn't seem to like the WPA2 on my WiFi network (whereas OSX 10.4 is
quite happy with it, so I know it's not a hardware issue with the
iBook's WiFi adapter).  I'm trying to wean myself off Ubuntu as I
personally feel they are making some fairly significant wrong decisions.

> (I use
> Chrome for added speed and I like that you can get Webmail ad
> blocker, Dictionary Tooltip and Xmarks extensions on Chrome as well
> as FF.)  I also put Ubuntu onto my old PC, about 7 years old, 1Gb of
> RAM and a 2.4 single core processor; I was amazed to see the CTI
> (cold to internet) time drop from about 7 minutes to about 55
> seconds!  Smashing.  I will be experimenting with WINE soon, so I can
> try Spotify.

Don't forget that there is a proper Linux version too, but you'll need
a Spotify subscription to use it.

I can also highly recommend mFlow.  Give it a Google.

Grant.