Re: [LUG] Aargh. Fscking udev, Debian, etc. the whole damned Linux world is determined to shaft itself!!!

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011, Joe Buckle wrote:

I'm almost tempted to give FreeBSD a go again - I'm sure it's improved in
the past 16 years since I last used it ...

I recently revived an extremely old style Dell Latitude which originally
had Win98 on it, somehow upgraded to XP.. it was a mess when I got it
though. The thing only has a 700mhz processor.

Anyway, I couldn't get anything decent Linux wise on it, so tried
FreeBSD - all installed fine (and runs fast in machine mode) - then I
installed Gnome with all the basic gear - all works fine.. not a bad
speed. I then started installing things as normal through Gnome. Its a
bit ropey but it does the job. I wouldn't overload it with loads of open
applications or anything.

Sounds good... Hmmm...

The last box I installed FreeBSD on was in 1997 and it was a P120 with 3 Ethernet cards (the 3com ones with the big FIFOs - megabucks at the time!) It was used as a router, so no X or anything else...

Gordon