Re: [LUG] Some good news for devon

tom wrote:
On 29/05/11 08:23, Dava wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 28 May 2011, Ray Smith wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Gordon Henderson
Sent: 27 May 2011 19:23
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Some good news for devon

I was a bit skeptical of peoples ability to download more than a few 10s of GB a month, but I have a couple of business customers who hit their 90GB limit and one residential customer who goes over 100GB a month, and read about people whinging that they can't get more than 300GB a month - what are
they doing with it???

Ah well...

Gordon

Well, I have quite a few friends who play Second Life and Wow for at least a couple of hours a day and everything displayed on screen is sent in real time (with SL anyway). So listening to music from 'in world' means it's easy
to use 1 gig an hour.

SL - is that still going???

So 60 gigs a month just on a game, not counting any downloads or video
streaming.
I also regularly use skyplayer as well as iplayer and download movies to
watch later.
Sky keep telling me I don't have to worry about caps because I'm on their
unlimited package and not had any emails or letters about exceeding
bandwidth in over 2 years of using them.

It can ony be unlimited if it's on an LLU line - ie. not going through the BT wholesale network. Basically BT charge per byte, so anyone offering unlimited is just asking to go out of business (and a few have)

Even offing unlimited on LLU isn't sustainable - however, it all depends on what they mean - I suspect it's unlimited number of bytes, but we're going to limit the rate you get them at... Which would ultimately put a fixed limit per month anyway.

And even on LLU, it's still contended...

My residential customer who breaks the 100GB limit uses it to watch TV mostly - they don't have a TV. they're on a 30GB a month peak-time package, but ulimited overnight so they download & store stuff overnight when they can and watch through the day

Gordon

I use Eclipse on the BT exchange in Bickington, non LLU and have downloaded over 1.3 tB in a month with no complaints, i regularly go over the tB. Even with Plusnet it is possible to hit the 700 gig mark with downloading from 12am-8am + the monthly usage of 80 gig (now 60)

Dave

Cmon fess up what do you actually do with all that data?
Tom te tom te tom

I have a server in the attic that is downloading nearly all the time that runs through a dd-wrt powered linksys with QoS. The server feeds to 4 Revos Running Boxee and two laptops so anyone can download their TV shows of stuff thats been missed. I probably only keep about 30% of the data, hell the cost in hdds would be insane! My sister (while she was roped in the the BT 10 gig allowance) would also access the download server and get it to fetch anything she needed. I setup one of the Revo's with a UDEV rule so she can plug her external in and it would copy over any files that where hers (sorted to her folder already) automatically.

Dave