Re: [LUG] Some good news for devon

On 28/05/11 10:00, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 28 May 2011, Joe Buckle wrote:

Well, I have quite a few friends who play Second Life and Wow for at least a couple of hours a day and everything displayed on screen is sent in real time (with SL anyway). So listening to music from 'in world' means it's easy
to use 1 gig an hour.
So 60 gigs a month just on a game, not counting any downloads or video
streaming.
I also regularly use skyplayer as well as iplayer and download movies to
watch later.
Sky keep telling me I don't have to worry about caps because I'm on their
unlimited package and not had any emails or letters about exceeding
bandwidth in over 2 years of using them.

Ray

Maybe if you're doing the above - and constantly FTP'ing large
applications around, whilst continuously downloading music and video
torrents through the night - probably make your 300GB :D Would have the
be totally constant though. Surely the line would have a limit and slow
downloading and uploading to make sure you cant reach your limit.

It'll all depends on the ISP and technology - ie. LLU or BTW and how their network is managed.

8Mb/sec constantly for a month is about 2.5TB ...

At the prices we're paying for "broadband", properly unlimited simply isn't fesable. Almost everything we do is contended in one way or another - e.g. water, electricity and gas - there is only so much to go round. The system works by knowing on average what each person will use. Same for broadband - the ISPs have a fixed capacity - in terms of their internal network and their interconnect with other ISPs, and if they're paying BT to carry their data then it's a rather big balancing act...

£500 a month for a 10Mb 1:1 leased line seems a lot - split it between 10 people and it's £50 a month - take that to 50 people and it's now a tenner a month.... Quite reasonable until one person starts to download & upload constantly...

When I was doing the Wi-Fi broadband in Buckfastleigh & Penwith, of the 250 or so users, 4 were power-users - they would constantly download 24/7 if I let them. In Buckfastleigh, we had 2; one was a young person trying to download music and video, the other an older gent downloading some other stuff... I was able to use Linux traffic management quite effectively to make sure the others still got an acceptable level of use with these 2 at it 24/7 ... But boy did they whinge about it...

Gordon
I know of a lot of people who have collections of downloaded music and video that can only be appreciated if they live several centuries - and they still want more!!!
Tom te tom te tom