Re: [LUG] MS Giving stuff away.

On 18/05/11 21:17, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 18/05/11 20:43, tom wrote:
>>> Why not? I know we complain about their business practices a lot, but
>>> they do do corporate giving.
>>>
>>> Often it is software they donate which costs them nothing to give except
>>> potential lost revenue.
>>
>> I'm not sure about that:
>
> I didn't say they wouldn't get revenue, just they lose the initial sale
> revenue.
>
> I'm quite sure they'll make some revenue on such things in the long
> term, and it also cuts out competing products.
>
> I dare say if they qualify they could probably ask for upgrades. But
> really there is no excuse there was a perfectly adequate free software
> solution available at the same price, and they opted for the vendor with
> the known lock-in strategy, rather than the more ethical software....

yes there are alternatives but we end up with the Open office vs
Libreoffice issue that simply confuses people.

there is little difference the reason for the fork is somewhat technical
and of no interest to joe public who simply wants to write a letter,

having libre office on a cv won't help you if you send it to someone who
is asking for open office skills, and some drone has no clue that the
software is pretty much the same.

if the cv manages to get to someone + clue you are in for a chance but
it has to get to the right person via the drone in personnel who looks
at it for key words, and discards if those don't appear.

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

Open Mic nights - Wednesday 8pm to 11pm (14+) Free entry
Breakin' Ground - Street dance for young people (8+) Wednesday 6pm
(starts May 11th)

The Lighthouse,26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
01803 411 812 or e-mail  info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more info.

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day