Re: [LUG] MS Giving stuff away.

On 18/05/11 20:43, tom wrote:
> On 18/05/11 19:46, Simon Waters wrote:
>> On 18/05/11 13:57, JOHN DAVEY wrote:
>>>     It didn't sound like something Microsoft would do.
>> Why not? I know we complain about their business practices a lot, but
>> they do do corporate giving.
>>
>> Often it is software they donate which costs them nothing to give except
>> potential lost revenue.
>
> I'm not sure about that:

I didn't say they wouldn't get revenue, just they lose the initial sale
revenue.

I'm quite sure they'll make some revenue on such things in the long
term, and it also cuts out competing products.

I dare say if they qualify they could probably ask for upgrades. But
really there is no excuse there was a perfectly adequate free software
solution available at the same price, and they opted for the vendor with
the known lock-in strategy, rather than the more ethical software....