Re: [LUG] apt ate my resolv.conf

On 16/05/11 17:56, Philip Hudson wrote:

> I might have mentioned that as well as restoring resolv.conf from backup
> I did temporarily revert to the previous kernel, but it didn't make any
> difference. I think it's something called "Network Manager" doing the
> damage, possibly a Gnome thing.

Network manager can chew resolv.conf if you let it (I don't).

ISC DHCP client can do it as well if you let it (I don't).

At home I run a recursive resolver on my desktop (so nameserver
127.0.0.1) although I have a couple of backup resolvers in case it can't
talk to itself. If you run a recursive resolver all you need is an
internet connection (If they really cared about the load on the root
servers they would slave "." in the default BIND configuration).

At work we stick all the data into the public facing DNS. So you can
discover which random part of the 10/8 network we use and a lot more if
you are really bored. This makes life a lot simpler as it is how DNS was
intended to work, and any resolver will do including your own.