Re: [LUG] Proprietary Tie-ins

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 11:31 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 10:12:37 +0000
> Adam Latham wrote:
>
> > Some of you may remember that I work in a Secondary school - not in
> > ICT thankfully.
> >
> > Today I received our BTEC subject Assessment materials on CD-ROM and
> > the requirements read like a who's-who of computer fascism:
> >
> > <SNIPPED>
> >
> > World domination, just another (depressing) step closer for M$ and
> > adooby-dooby-do.
> >
> > Adam
> > Message sent using BlackBerryÂ
>
> Adooby-dooby-do... I like that. :D
>
> If they are mandating IE7+ or Firefox 3, then chances are that aspect
> of it will work in any browser.  I doubt they'd've gone to the extend
> of writing their own custom add-ons for those two specific browsers.
> If they'd mentioned 1 browser, then I could believe it... but writing
> add-ons for 2 browsers?  I'm not so sure.

Grant, it would appear that they're using a Flash container to be the
provider of all things pretty, which requires the use of a browser (or a
browser Object at least)

My difficulty and disappointment stems from the fact that the installer
will install (even under Mac I suspect, with compatibility layers) but
this container checks for the presence of these 2 proprietary programmes
and refuses to allow you to open any documents from the interface if it
doesn't find them.

> They are saying "MS Office 2003 or better", so it would suggest the
> files in question are Microsoft .doc, .xls, .ppt, etc.  These should
> open with little or any noticeable changes in Libre/OpenOffice.

They would if you can find the blimmin' things!  The installer attempts
to hide them in a silly place!  Grrrr!

> Also, it is unlikely any of the PDF documents are going to include any
> weird and wonderful Adobe-only features if they're specifying Adobe
> Reader 8+, so they should open OK with Evince or XPDF, or others.

Again, if you can find the blimmin' things, I can open them in Evince
easy.

It defeats the purpose for me!  If I can't open them from the interface,
just give me the files then.  I suppose they have to try and attempt to
justify the expense somehow...

> It is annoying, especially if they interface they've created is
> essentially just a bunch of HTML files with hyperlinks to the included
> documents - why not make the whole thing into HTML?  Why mess around
> with MSOffice & PDF?

The reason to mess around with these prop. software's is either
Political (cultural imperialism) - only those who can afford it, can use
it, or (more logically) to extend the monopoly like status of Micros**t
and Adooby-dooby-do, within the education sector.

I got the files off now, so I can put the disc and the proprietary stuff
where the sun don't shine, for now!

> Grant (also in the education sector and having to deal with BTEC stuff).

Ooooooohhhhhhhhh!  Deepest sympathies with that one!

Adam