Re: [LUG] OT: Chrome Books - opinions...?

On Thu, 12 May 2011 19:08:30 +0100
Roland Tarver wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 May 2011 11:51:58 +0100
> > Roland Tarver wrote:

> >> I was not *absolutely* sure it did. Hence OT.

> >> Agreed.
> >
> > Seconded... or is that thirded by now?

> >> I know quite a few folks (my mum! would be a prime candidate) that
> >> it could be very handy for.
> >>
> >> It all sounds lovely, but - everything in "the cloud" :-s ???
> >> Really? Although I have no evidence or experience to prove it
> >> (except the recent amazon outage) I just don't have a good gut
> >> "feeling" about all my data (or mums, etc) in "the cloud"? Do you?
> >> Do others?
> >>
> >> Best wishes
> >> roly :-)
> >
> > I try and work "in the cloud" as much as possible, although that is
> > mainly because I am forgetful, so keeping my documents on a portable
> > storage device would not really help me. ÂHaving said that, I have
> > found a fair number of formatting things that just don't work with
> > Google Docs yet, so I tend to use Libre/OpenOffice, upload the .od?
> > file to Google Docs (and unticking the box that says "convert to
> > Google Docs format document) and download it again at the other
> > end... I am currently looking for a good tool that allows me to
> > access Google Docs without having to mess around with their web
> > interface.
> >
> > Grant.
>
> Thanks for that Grant. :-) Interesting... For how long have you been
> operating like this? And if/when you find a suitable tool please let
> me know which/what. I might have dabble with google docs..... !
>
> roly :-)

I've been working like this as much as I can for about 2 years now.  I
have found a number of tools that work to some extent, but none are
quite "there" yet... quite possibly due to Google Docs' APIs.

The one I have used most is gdocs-mount-gtk
(http://doctormo.org/2010/07/20/google-doc-mount/).  It works and the
whole drag'n'drop side of things is OK... but it doesn't seem too happy
about accessing things directly from your Google Docs mount point, so
again we're into "copy it from X, edit it, copy it back to X".

I have also found a add-on/plug-in for Libre/OpenOffice, but it too is
a bit awkward.

To be fair, though, it isn't just Linux stuff... I have had a few
issues with Windows based software when dealing with Google Docs, and
the office application I have on my 10" Android tablet also has a
couple of minor annoyances when it comes to accessing Google Docs
documents.

Accessing Google Docs documents through the Google Docs interface is
fine though - and I do use Google Docs as much as I can - it is only
really a minority of things that I have found I can't do cleanly in
Google Docs.  I am by no means a "power user" of Libre/OpenOffice - I
could be... I know how, it's just that the vast majority of features
are things that I don't use (very often) - so for the most part Google
Docs is "good enough" for my usage.

Grant.