Re: [LUG] The final stumbling blocks ...

To migrating my wife from XP to Linux are:
iTunes.
This is a must-have. No questions asked. It's not that she buys much stuff, but that it integrates into the BBC, etc. for downloading podcasts, etc. to her iPod thing.

If the requirement is to be able to subscribe to podcasts and download them onto your iPod, then there are several music players available that will handle all of that. My favorite is Banshee, which is now the default music player in Ubuntu.

It offers a lot of iTunes-like functionality (including an iTunes Store work-alike plugin that uses Amazon MP3 Store). You should definitely give it a try to see if it covers everything you need it to do.