Re: [LUG] The final stumbling blocks ...

On 02/05/11 12:04, Gordon Henderson wrote:

To migrating my wife from XP to Linux are:

iTunes.

This is a must-have. No questions asked. It's not that she buys much
stuff, but that it integrates into the BBC, etc. for downloading
podcasts, etc. to her iPod thing.

Printing - It's an HP PhotoSmart 2575 with an Ethernet port as well as
USB - a quick google suggests it is supported though.

Yep, did a quick Google myself and found a signature for someone who is running Squeeze with this same printer.

Can you run iTunes under Wine? It would need access to the USB hardware
to make interface to the iPod work, but that's an area I really know
nothing about (and the only time I tried to run Wine on my desktop -
under Lenny, crashed the entire desktop )-:

I believe older version of iTunes work with Wine or CrossOver Office, but I'm not sure about the latest version.

Having said that, on Ubuntu at least it is possible to use iPods...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod

It suggests GTKPod as a basic tool to put stuff on the iPod which you could maybe use with another app for downloading podcasts or maybe Banshee or AmaroK which have more features and I would guess would be able to download podcasts from the BBC site etc.

I realise she's probably running Debian, but I'd have guessed these apps would be in the Debian repositories too.

Rob