Re: [LUG] next paignton meeting and facebook

On 01/05/11 20:53, Paul Sutton wrote:

>> If you don't understand the problem then watch this (730MB):
>> http://video.fosdem.org/2011/maintracks/political.xvid.avi

My movie player fell down asking for a proprietary codec to play the
video. Surely some mistake here?

> ok this is fine,  however like with windows there are millions of users
> of facebook so we have

Windows analogy is not appropriate as the main direct network effect of
Windows is the amount of compatible malware, but social networks
usefulness is more directly related to the size of user base which is
why Skype for example is so painful for free software folk, there are
alternatives (Gordon sells 'em) but if you can't easily connect with
others then the utility is less.

> facebook - millions of users everyone has heard of it

Strictly speaking if you disable javascript and java in facebook and
then use a free browser your access meets the FSF definition of free
software (their definition doesn't address the issue of software as a
service directly - although I think they'd prefer you used something
with free server side software because facebook aren't distributing
their server software it could even be under the GPL already and we'd
never know).

> a sort of conundrum, which i lack the expertise to get round,

I think you promote it as best you can.

If there are privacy issues with Facebook then this would not be
relevant to organising a meeting open to the public unless attendees
don't want others to know they are going when they could attend but not
say so on Facebook.

If Facebook presents privacy issues with accessing other websites, well
plenty of marketing companies and web analytics companies got there a
long time before them, the difference is FB offer you something of some
utility in exchange rather than just watching you. (See that 2o7.net
cookie in your cookie jar - that is Adobe watching you go by....).

If Facebook were the only, or primary place the meeting is promoted I
think it would raise issues, but I hope the primary places are the
mailing list, and the DCGLUG website.