Re: [LUG] next paignton meeting and facebook

On 01/05/11 19:51, Michael Dorrington wrote:
Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi

I have created a facebook event page thing for the next Paignton meeting
the link should be

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=198026786901215&pending
I recommend reading this article about Facebook:
http://www.fsf.org/facebook/

Manchester Free Software is no longer using Facebook for its activities:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=28643509885

If you don't understand the problem then watch this (730MB):
http://video.fosdem.org/2011/maintracks/political.xvid.avi

Regards,
Mike.
Manchester Free Software Chair.

ok this is fine, however like with windows there are millions of users of facebook so we have

facebook - millions of users everyone has heard of it
diaspora - hardly any, and no one has heard of it

windows - millions of users everyone has heard of it
linux and related - lots of users and people don't really know about it

how are we meant to reach out the majority and get them to lug meets, here in torbay is really hard to get the word out, and i am struggling to promote anything,

we need to embrace what everyone uses so that we can perhaps find a way to promote the alternatives, i have signed up to diaspora and am awaiting a invite, i have probably missed something in doing so, but facebook is easy to sign up to, diaspora is not even ready yet.,

a sort of conundrum, which i lack the expertise to get round,

paul

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day