Re: [LUG] Gnome 3

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:02:24 +0100
Roland Tarver wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 17/04/11 12:30, Gibbs wrote:
> >>
> >> I've been playing about with Fedora 15 and have to say I'm
> >> impressed with Gnome 3. Ubuntu is my primary OS and I don't like
> >> the direction with Unity and haven't liked KDE for a long time so
> >> I was expecting to be disappointed with Gnome 3.
> >>
> >> I'm not really one for screen effects, global menus, docks etc
> >> etc. I just want an environment to get things done as quickly as
> >> possible when outside of a CLI, the reason I used Gnome 2. Using
> >> Gnome 3 you can tell a lot of thought and effort has gone into the
> >> new workflow.
> >>
> >> With that said it does feel as if things are a bit forced on you
> >> at the moment. Once it matures and can be configured more I think
> >> Gnome 3 will be a massive improvement.
> >>
> >> Anyone else had a play about with it?
> >>
> >> Gibbs
> >>

> > I've yet to try Gnome 3, I've read some good things about it. ÂI'll
> > probably download a Live CD and have a play.
> >
> > I do agree though with the way things are going with the feeling of
> > having a choice forced on you. ÂI really didn't like Ubuntu's
> > default that only works with 3D hardware (so if you don't have 3D
> > support, or the correct 3D support you fall back to Gnome). ÂYes I
> > know it's also possible to switch to the Gnome desktop on the new
> > Ubuntu but if you tolerate this then what's next?
> >
> > Maybe it's just me but I think that now Ubuntu has got a good
> > market share they're abusing their position forcing crap like Unity
> > on us.
> >
> > I'll probably stick with Mint for the next release but I'm always
> > keeping an eye out for alternatives.
> >
> > Rob
>
> I might give unity (and ubuntu) a spin on my net book - just to see
> what it is like. But I think its Debian for my main machine ... in the
> not too distant future.....
>
> Also, there is this project:-
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntugnome
>
> Which is a remix of ubuntu that includes gnome and excludes unity.
>
> Best wishes
> roly

I'm hoping to take some time to Debianify my laptop over Easter.  It's
had Ubuntu on it since day-1, each time being upgraded rather than
freshly installed but lately the more I use Ubuntu the more I dislike
it.

I also kinda miss the rolling upgrade of Debian testing.  I don't like
having single, large upgrades periodically.  I like having smaller
upgrades at short intervals.

Grant.