Re: [LUG] Finally found a use for a BT Home Hub :-)

On 17/04/11 22:12, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:43:40 +0100
Rob Beard wrote:
<snip>
If you leave the Home Hub setup using the original IP configuration
(so set to 192.168.1.254) then it is possible to attach a printer to
the USB port on the hub, setup your machine to point to the IP
192.168.1.253 and have it connect as an lp type device. printers.

Excellent news!  I presume this is using the original BTified firmware?

Grant.

Yep all stock firmware. One of the Home Hubs (the 2.0) was brand new and hadn't been used by the looks of things so I'm not sure if that is running the latest firmware or not, the BT Home Hub 1.0 had been used though and it worked fine as well.

I get the feeling it's an unsupported feature (BT don't tell you about it, but it works).

So if you're looking for a cheap or possibly free ethernet print server and your network is on a 192.168.1.x address without 192.168.1.253 and 192.168.1.254 being used then it would probably do the job nicely.

Rob