Re: [LUG] A new conundrum

On 11/04/11 20:44, Stephen Cutts wrote:
Today has been something of an odd day for me, this morning I was running ubuntu 10.10, and decided I wanted to swap to kubuntu on something of a whim so I download the .iso, burn it to disc, and proceed to reboot the computer to of course install kubuntu. A reformat and install later my computer boots to a black screen with a flashing underscore about an inch from the top of my screen. No Grub boot selection, no kubuntu splash screen just the black screen with the flashing underscore.

Now fast forward to about 8pm, I've got the PC to install and boot with XP Pro, and it boots and runs no issues, having had this success I've grabbed a debian disc I had packed away and proceed to try and set up a dual boot to see if it was just my ubuntu disc causing the issue or perhaps grub. I get through the install process to the point it tries to install grub, and it fails, try to install Lilo instead again it fails with the message it's unable to write to the master boot record.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks,
Steve.
Just to rub salt into the wound - you can install the kubuntu packages using synaptic from ubuntu then each login you can choose which to use...
Tom te tom te tom