Re: [LUG] Broadband & phone

"for whatever reason, that didn't work."

The problem with
conventional telephony is the voice response is very close
to immediate.
With VOIP, there are small delays in the A to
D and D to A converters, which make a
conventional
conversation much more difficult.

Nottingham University
had a similar problem when they converted their telephone
network
to VOIP. For anyone dialling in to an extension,
the delays are a serious obstacle to
conventional
interactive conversations.

VOIP may be cheap, but it is
also nasty.

Ray.

gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx
<list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

10/04/11 23:00, Kai Hendry wrote:
>>> On 10 April 2011 17:
20, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

avaiable on my exchange, and since the 21CN roll out ceased
presumably

>>> Ceased? Do you have reference on that?

>> Not to hand, I gathered the idea when the upgrade
date for the exchange
>> disappeared and I was trying to
find out when/how.

>Isn't this to do with the plan BT had
to move their entire phone network
>to their 21CN data
network?

>That always seemed confusing to me - and from
what I understand, they
>canned the idea after trying it
out with much fanfare on a couple of small
>welsh towns...
I think the idea was the use VoIP throughout their entire

>voice network, but for whatever reason it didn't work...
>

>So samknows had 2 sets of 21cn target dates for some
exchanges at one
>point - presumably indicating 21cn data
and 21cn voice. Even my rural
>exchange had a 21cn target