Re: [LUG] Version for converts/newbies

On 09/04/11 01:26, Tony Ferris wrote:
On 04/08/2011 06:54 PM, Rob Beard wrote:
On 08/04/11 18:21, Tony Ferris wrote:
I'm completely biased towards Pclinuxos.

Great distro for beginners.

This is one of the great things about Linux, having choice, but I
guess it could also be a hindrance too. I wonder how many of us go on
about the different options of Windows (Windows 7 Starter, Home
Premium, Profressional, Enterprise, Windows 2008 R2 Server etc) and
forget the different distros out there? (I know I'm guilty of that,
especially when Vista came out, although to be fair distros are
different generally rather all being a kind of a version of the same
thing but with 20 different options to go for).

That's true although in my case after dual-booting for a couple of
months I deleted my windows partition and have never looked back. Choice
is great, as you say, and I keep looking for something better...

I did try PCLinuxOS a while back but never got on with it. One of
these days I will take another look. I have used Mandrake (and
Mandriva) in the past, the first time I ever tried Mandrake it
wouldn't let me login.
My absolute first distro was Mandrake 10... I've still got the original
disks and packaging somewhere. No, I wasn't that impressed either.
Things have very much changed for the better with Pclinuxos 2010 KDE. If
KDE isn't your thing there's many other desktops available...

The first time I tried Mandrake was version 5.1 (back in 1998 I think). I did try later versions, some went quite well, some not so.

The first distro I used was Slackware but the first distro I actually spent any real time on was SuSE Linux 6.2 (I bought the boxed version which came with two decent manuals).

Looking at screen shots of the Mandriva Control Center, it looks like
the Control Centre in Linux Mint, I wouldn't be surprised if Linux
Mint borrowed the Mandriva Control Center and tweaked it a little.

I liked what I saw of Mint. Its a shame that the distro leader's
politics in reference to Israel put me off ever using it. Infact, he
went as far as to say that he didn't want me to use it... So, I won't.

Can't say I've heard about that, might do a bit of Googling.

Rob