[LUG] Version for converts/newbies

As I have already mentioned I have a new computer and I am in the process of setting it up. My old machine is still running Kubuntu Hardy so I decided it was time get up to date. My laptop is set up with Mint 9 Xfce which I like a lot.

So I installed the latest version of Mint Xfce on the new computer. However Mint have changed their set up for Xfce. This latest version is now based on Debian testing and will be a running update style. Still, I gave it a go for a while but could not take to it at all. So I have now installed Mint 10 KDE instead. Some of my other emails will have shown that I have struggled a bit, but it is now coming together. I must say though that I just do not like KDE 4 so far. Far too complicated and OTT for me. (Just a personal opinion mind.) I know that I could revert to KDE 3.5 but that seems to be a retrograde step.

Anyway, to get to the subject matter of this email. We, the group, are talking a lot about getting people to try out Linux and possibly stick with it in the future. Up to now I have advocated Mint Xfce as a good choice of distro for possible converts. Now I am not so sure. I would be interested to hear what other group members consider the best distro for this. No, I don't want to start any arguments, I just think that it would be sensible to agree on one, or two at the most.

Then, again a personal opinion, I think that it would be a good idea for those members who are interested in this to get to know those distros really well even if they don't use them for their own computing. That way would make for a consistent approach throughout the group.

So, I would be interested to hear what other members think. My suggestion above was brought about by my recent experiences with two of the latest distro versions. Other members are sure to have more knowledge about this.

Anyone??

Neil Winchurst