Re: [LUG] Version for converts/newbies

On 08/04/11 14:20, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Anyway, to get to the subject matter of this email. We, the group, are talking a lot about getting people to try out Linux and possibly stick with it in the future. Up to now I have advocated Mint Xfce as a good choice of distro for possible converts. Now I am not so sure. I would be interested to hear what other group members consider the best distro for this. No, I don't want to start any arguments, I just think that it would be sensible to agree on one, or two at the most.

I'm completely biased towards Pclinuxos. Four years ago I was bored with Microsoft and its offerings and needed a challenge. I'd heard vaguely about this OS called Linux and immediately tried Ubuntu as that seemed to be what everyone was using. Problems with Video/wireless drivers and flash, Java and codecs not working out of the box pushed me back to my XP box. Someone suggested Pclinuxos 2007 and it was a complete breath of fresh air. Everything seemed to work well from the beginning. It booted fast, didn't suffer viruses and even looked like XP. It has a Control Center based on Mandriva's and just everything seemed easy to understand.

Thankfully, they waited a while before implementing KDE 4 and now I believe have the best take on this desktop. Believe me I've tried pretty much everything Including Arch and Debian (Both of which I like and have on a partition somewhere) but I always come back to Pclinuxos. Its major drawback is that its basically a 'one man show'. But as long as Texstar is at the helm I'll continue to use it.

Great distro for beginners.

Cheers,
Tony