Re: [LUG] Version for converts/newbies

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

So, I would be interested to hear what other members think. My
suggestion above was brought about by my recent experiences with two
of the latest distro versions. Other members are sure to have more
knowledge about this.

Anyone??

Ha! Or, LOL, since it's now officially in the OED :)

What *exactly* do you want a computer for? And If you have one, what do
you want to do with it?

It seems to me that most people have computers because it's the thing to
have - you just have to have one...

Then there's what you do with it... Email? Web? Social Media?

Or actual work? (Whatever that is ;-)

(Or stealing music and videos, or even paying for them!)

Then there's games, but let's face it - if you're really into games,
there is no choice other than MS Windoze. Liunx games just don't come
close - yet.

So you need a box with a screen and a button marked "email", another
marked "interweb" and another marked "word processor".

The rest is just a waste of CPU and memory resources. Oh, you want a
pretty picture in the background that changes every 5 minutes,
transparent windows so you can see the picture, fancy 3D effects to spin
and rotate windows and so on ... Would it make you work faster? Doubt
it, but it's what being sold to you through fancy adverts on TV and
smiling sales droids in the shops, etc., so obviously it's something you
must have.

Then there's the whole desktop metaphor... Drag a file to the desktop,
or keep it in a directory (er, folder, er, 'library' as Win7 now seems
to call them)

If you are installing systems for others, then you need to pick one
distro and stick with it - it doesn't matter what that distro is, you
just need to be able to stick to it and use it yourself as those people
you've installed it for will call you when it gets stuck and they've
broken it...

I use Debian - it's what's on my servers, my workstation, my laptops and
my wifes laptop. I use FVWM because I want a windwing environment and
not a desktop environment, but wifey wants a desktop, so I chose xfce4.
Sadly, lifes too short to learn everything, and what you're going to get
is everyones personal favourites.

If you want something stable, but not neccessarily bleeding edge, then
use Debian and pick your window/desktop manager. Xfce is still a choice
and if you want eye candy install compiz... Squeeze has only just been
released, so right-now is actually fairly close to the edge anyway.

Gordon

Thank you for an interesting answer. I suspect you are right, everyone will just come up with their favourite distro. I will think about what you have said, and I think that I will decide to just go with what pleases me and let everyone else just get on with it. In other words, I will forget all about bothering to get anyone else to move over. That will be a lot more restful, so thanks again,

Neil