Re: [LUG] VPS Memory Usage

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 18:09 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> High usage is generally fine - if you've got the RAM for it ;-)
>
> However I'm surprised at the zeros in the buffer/cache, but it might be
> that the VPS system, your host is using forces that (and it's accounted
> for elsewhere?)
>
> Have you tried looking at top, sorted by memory (hit capital M)? Each
> instance of https, while sharing the actual code will have it's own data
> space - and the size of that will be goverend by the type of website
> running - php, etc. will all eat memory and it might not be released until
> that instance of httpd dies - does amavis use a lot of memory each time it
> doe a scan? Same for clam - there will be a difference in the system in
> the middle of the night vs. through the day when it's busier..
>
> Maybe your server really is busy - especially if you've got few popular
> sites on it..
>
> Gordon

Ah, I think its because swap is disabled. The company doesn't like it
being used on their VPS, I assume to prevent other users slowing things
down.

I will keep it an eye on it and try and figure out the difference
between memory usage/allocation. I'm probably just being a bit paranoid
but the responsibility is new to me.

The websites are in the 100-1000 hits per day range according to Google
Analytics so they are small and locally targeted. I'm pretty sure that
the main use is probably mail related at the moment.

Cheers,

Gibbs