Re: [LUG] VPS Memory Usage

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Gibbs wrote:

I don't know a great deal about memory usage but I'm struggling to
understand this. On my VPS memory usage is typically between 65-95%.
This is fine as its there to be used but I do get concerned when it
reaches the 90%+ region for periods.

Another thing I don't really understand is that none of it is buffered
or cached. Here's the output of "free -m":

Mem:           960        807        152          0          0          0
-/+ buffers/cache:        807        152
Swap:            0          0          0

Can anyone explain if this high usage is OK? I have around 20 websites
on this Ubuntu VPS including mail. Amavis, Clam, Apache and MySQL are
taking the majority.

High usage is generally fine - if you've got the RAM for it ;-)

However I'm surprised at the zeros in the buffer/cache, but it might be that the VPS system, your host is using forces that (and it's accounted for elsewhere?)

Have you tried looking at top, sorted by memory (hit capital M)? Each instance of https, while sharing the actual code will have it's own data space - and the size of that will be goverend by the type of website running - php, etc. will all eat memory and it might not be released until that instance of httpd dies - does amavis use a lot of memory each time it doe a scan? Same for clam - there will be a difference in the system in the middle of the night vs. through the day when it's busier..

Maybe your server really is busy - especially if you've got few popular sites on it..

Gordon