Re: [LUG] VPS Memory Usage

The zeros mean you have no swap. You might want to look into getting some...

mkswap /dev/xxx
swapon /dev/xxx
et al.

On 7 Apr 2011 18:10, "Gordon Henderson" <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Gibbs wrote:

> I don't know a great deal about memory usage but I'm struggling ...

High usage is generally fine - if you've got the RAM for it ;-)

However I'm surprised at the zeros in the buffer/cache, but it might be that the VPS system, your host is using forces that (and it's accounted for elsewhere?)

Have you tried looking at top, sorted by memory (hit capital M)? Each instance of https, while sharing the actual code will have it's own data space - and the size of that will be goverend by the type of website running - php, etc. will all eat memory and it might not be released until that instance of httpd dies - does amavis use a lot of memory each time it doe a scan? Same for clam - there will be a difference in the system in the middle of the night vs. through the day when it's busier..

Maybe your server really is busy - especially if you've got few popular sites on it..

Gordon