[LUG] OT: SDHC cards not recognized any more

My wife's laptop (a fairly new Dell Inspiron) suddenly stopped
recognizing SDHC memory cards. I have since confirmed that:
- a reboot doesn't solve the problem;
- the problem occurs with two different cards;
- both cards do work on another computer and are recognized upon being
plugged into it;
- the problem occurs in both Linux and Windows;
- both recognize a USB stick.

The obvious question to ask is: did something change recently? to
which the answer is; yes, Dell put in a new motherboard (and a new
fan, both to solve a problem with overheating). She is fairly certain
she did not plug any SDHC card since it was fixed, so it is likely to
be a motherboard problem.

The laptop is covered by warranty, so I can just give Dell a ring and
they'll come and fix it, but is this perhaps something that can be
changed in the settings (BIOS or something) or fixed otherwise? It
makes me realise how little I know about hardware that I don't even
know if this question makes sense.

Thanks.

Martijn.