Re: [LUG] OT: Windows reinstall - Exeter

On 4 April 2011 10:43, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anyone do Windows Laptop reinstall/maintenance in Exeter area professionally?

Someone is complaining Laptop is "slow", I presume the rational approach
time/cost wise now is to backup settings and data then reinstall from
original CD image, but I don't do Windows if I can help it so I wouldn't
know....

I deal a lot with Windows laptops. To determine why slow, there are a number of possible issues :

1) Version of Windows not suitable for the spec of laptop. Particularly when pushing Vista, this was installed on many laptops / desktops that were not capable of running it in a real world situation.

2) How full is the hard drive? If there is very little free space, this wil make it run very slow.

3) Lots of installation and uninstallation of software, for example, over several years, will bloat the windows registry.

Generally, uninstalling all software that is not necessary, defrag of the hard drive (Windows XP), run a good spyware checker to ensure clean (& anti-virus) & clean the registry. Clear out the internet cache and the trash (Windows has a system cleaner that will do the internet cache, delete temp files etc) If possible, with old laptops (less than 2gb) max out the ram as well.

I hope this helps.

Viv