Re: [LUG] Win7 [was: Re: lug meet]

On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 20:06 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Rob Beard wrote:

> On 02/04/11 14:48, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, zleap@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Hi have now arrived at the lug meet in paignton
>>
>> apologies. i don't think I'll make it. currenty at in-laws in totnes
>> setting up their shiney new win7 pc.
>>
>> although it's only crahed once so-far, and windows live email is so
>> horrible it's unspeakable. it's only rebooted about 10 times so far.
>
> Ahh Windows Live E-Mail, the new name for Outlook Express :-D

Well - I spent the whole day with FiL getting his PC setup. The biggest
hassle I had was copy the stuff from his old one to the new one. He had an
external USB connected drive - great I thought, so I exported his Outlook
express and other stuff to a folder on it, plugged it into the new PC and
started to copy - whereupon it stalled - several times - And once,
explorer crashed completely, and I got a black screen (the new BSOD?) It
stayed like that after a reboot - I did an F8 thing at the next reboot and
selected repair which seemed to fix it.
You need the old Files settings and Tx wizard

Its called something new in 7 though
this link ...

Easy transfer settings

I have to laugh at the banter between these two though..

However it does work from Win xp 32 bit and Win7 having done more than a hundred ( takes ages.  so I begin it before I open the box on a New PC)  The file transferring won't stall as will ftp.

However the copy stalled again.

I started to suspect a faulty drive, so did the copy to my laptop - which
was slow due to it only having USB1 ports. FTPd the data to the Win PC and
it stalled again - I *think* it's to do with folders (oh, sorry,
Libraries) having the same name as system ones - so it's not actually
doing a true copy, it's looking for folders (e.g. system folders) and
trying to be "clever" (FSVO clever), and put things into the right (wrong)
place.

And it just looks ugly too.

Took me ages to work out how to change the workgroup too, so MiL's Laptop
could see it (as it controls their shared printer)

But then again... These are the sort of tales I'm hearing about people
migrating/upgrading "modern" Linux installations too.

I don't think it's right at all.

As for Live E-Mail - it's just wrong. Too many options/buttons and other
stuff. At least when I activated Outlook 2010 for him (Yes, he want for
that too), I got it to save in ODF format. No-doubt his peers will now
whinge that he's sending in the wrong format, but at least it might save
the rest of us from docx format...

Gordon

I have not had any such problems with linux in the 15 years of moving on to another distro
--
Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)