Re: [LUG] eicc vs lug

On 02/04/11 20:57, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 02/04/11 19:50, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Looking at the success of the meeting in exeter on saturday got me
>> thinking and I had a discussion with phil on saturday regarding how we
>> market the lug.
>>
>> Perhaps we should / could market any meetings similar to the EICC
>> meetings as SDICC or south devon internet computer club,  that way it
>> will appeal to non techy people and may get more people along.
>>
>> I am NOT suggesting we rename the LUG  in fact saturday afternoons we
>> can have a few of us lug / open devon people meet up from say 14:00 then
>> SDICC meets can be from 15:00 that gives us tech people time to catch up
>> /  set up before other people arrive,
>>
>> Clearly any website on this can say its run by Lug members, who want to
>> help people with computer issues.
>>
>> Getting people through the door is the hard part,  once they are through
>> we can talk about issues (probably going to be with windows)
>>
>> Just a thought
>>
>> Any ideas / Comments.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Yep, in a way I think this could be a good thing if it gets folks
> through the door, on the other hand we could leave ourselves open to
> questions about all sorts including Windows and MacOS X.
>
> I do wonder if part of the reason that Rick has got folks through the
> door is because of the mention he got in the Express & Echo.  Maybe if
> we could get a mention in the Herald Express this might help?

could do,  perhaps the same article,  however calling out selves SDICC
may work in that case,  Lets discuss this on the list, but we need to
appeal to people, I don't really see a problem with OSX users coming
along as they are still UNIX based,  being a windows support group is
not what I want, but if we get people who are frustrated with windows,
we can perhaps suggest alternatives :D

> Might also help that the Exwick Community Centre is a nice light airy
> venue with computers and wifi.  I know we've been trying to do things at
> the Lighthouse but it seems like a dark place, possibly off putting to
> some people with the young people hanging around outside the place.  Now
> don't get me wrong, I know young people tend to get a bad rep,
> especially the more 'alternative' teens, my eldest step-daughter being
> one herself).

Ok we may be able to meet downstairs at the lighthouse as this is going
to be more of a pub type place downstairs with the rock school / dmc
stuff upstairs. (will be separate entities by the way) So it should be
lighter,  plus upstairs we have a proper sound system so could be used
too. (lets see what happens)

if need be we may be able to move an amp. speaker and mic downstairs and
set up so we can do talks, (the kit is there and I have the contacts) we
just need to arrange it.

I am sure we can find a quiet area to meet in plus its going to be more
family friendly so hopefully they will be ok with kids under 14 going
in,  I will ask Friday when I am in next or over Easter after they open
up down stairs properly

Neil (from the DMC) is going to fix the lighting in the alcove upstairs
too, (he also uses Linux) so its more suitable for a computer room,  so
i will take a look once that is done, btw cabling is hopefully going in
Friday,  so we should have network ports etc.

This afternoon there were no young people around outside the lighthouse
so it may not be an issue as much in the daytime, gigs etc in evenings
usually. even then I don't really have problems, its all bad press, lets
give em a chance and a break from all this negative stuff.

Plus if we are running Ubuntu / free software upstairs and the young
people support that,  we at least have that to our advantage they may
want to join in with meetings but a lot of places exclude them due to
age etc.

I have more issues with old people on mobile scooters who think they own
the pavement and want to relive their days as a F1 driver, and show no
consideration for others, (so 2 sides of a coin here really). (no
offence but they do sometimes drive as if they own the pavement)

Paul