[LUG] Win7 [was: Re: lug meet]

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Rob Beard wrote:

On 02/04/11 14:48, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, zleap@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi have now arrived at the lug meet in paignton

apologies. i don't think I'll make it. currenty at in-laws in totnes
setting up their shiney new win7 pc.

although it's only crahed once so-far, and windows live email is so
horrible it's unspeakable. it's only rebooted about 10 times so far.

Ahh Windows Live E-Mail, the new name for Outlook Express :-D

Well - I spent the whole day with FiL getting his PC setup. The biggest hassle I had was copy the stuff from his old one to the new one. He had an external USB connected drive - great I thought, so I exported his Outlook express and other stuff to a folder on it, plugged it into the new PC and started to copy - whereupon it stalled - several times - And once, explorer crashed completely, and I got a black screen (the new BSOD?) It stayed like that after a reboot - I did an F8 thing at the next reboot and selected repair which seemed to fix it.

However the copy stalled again.

I started to suspect a faulty drive, so did the copy to my laptop - which was slow due to it only having USB1 ports. FTPd the data to the Win PC and it stalled again - I *think* it's to do with folders (oh, sorry, Libraries) having the same name as system ones - so it's not actually doing a true copy, it's looking for folders (e.g. system folders) and trying to be "clever" (FSVO clever), and put things into the right (wrong) place.

And it just looks ugly too.

Took me ages to work out how to change the workgroup too, so MiL's Laptop could see it (as it controls their shared printer)

But then again... These are the sort of tales I'm hearing about people migrating/upgrading "modern" Linux installations too.

I don't think it's right at all.

As for Live E-Mail - it's just wrong. Too many options/buttons and other stuff. At least when I activated Outlook 2010 for him (Yes, he want for that too), I got it to save in ODF format. No-doubt his peers will now whinge that he's sending in the wrong format, but at least it might save the rest of us from docx format...

Gordon