Re: [LUG] Recommendations for simple router Linux systems

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 08:33:33 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > With any luck, after Easter some of my students will be in a
> > position where we can afford to "play" with some kit.  I would like
> > to cover routing with them in more depth and I would like to give
> > them a series of tasks involving a bunch of low end computers and a
> > bunch of PCI network cards... ie building their own routers with
> > which to put the routing theory into practice.
>
> So rather than bloating the box with additional nonsense, why not
> just do it from scratch - basic linux install, a few ifconfig
> commands and a few iptables commands. Done.

I suppose if I were covering a Cisco system I would just get them to
jump straight into setting it up via the command line.  There really is
no need for kid gloves.

So any recommendations on slim-line systems then Gordon?  Would you go
for a grass-roots Debian system?  Or Slackware?

> CLI is there - it's built in. It's called /bin/bash

No need for sarcasm! :p

Grant.