[LUG] Keyboard extras and Linux

I am due a new computer soon so I have been looking around at keyboards, mainly because I think a wifi, cordless keyboard would be a good idea.

Anyway, looking at the various reviews etc I notice that there is often talk of getting some of the buttons to provide some shortcuts. When I look at the photos I see several extra keys at the top of some of them.

It seems that most of them will just work as a normal keyboard on Linux very easily. However I am wondering about these extras that are mentioned. Can I assume that these will work in Windows but not in Linux? Any software provided on a CD will be Windows only, right?

Or are there ways around this, and is it worth the bother?

Does anyone have any information about this please?

Neil