Re: [LUG] Ebook readers

On 27/03/2011 22:49, George Parker wrote:
Has anyone any experience of the kindle or other ebook readers? Pros & cons, problems, back up methods etc?

George

I have a new kindle - The wifi one not 3G... works just fine.

I mainly use it for reading .PDF manuals which it does very well (apart from the text being a bit small when viewed at 100% - you can zoom and then you have to scroll around the page... a bit fiddly but no different from other dedicated ebook readers).

Images, although greyscale show up crisp and clear as does the text -easy to read in either daylight or artificial lighting with little reflection or glare - although it can be a bit of a bugger to read in really dim conditions.

Connect it to a PC/netbook/laptop and it is seen as a USB storage device... I regularly have it connected to both Linux (various) & Windows* and adding new files to it is a simple drag and drop affair.

Scrolling through lots of pages can lead to a bit of 'lag' in the time it takes the pages to load but this is a common issue with a lot of electronic ink devices and can be got around by using the search facility etc.

I really like my Kindle....I can carry around hundreds of manuals, pdf'd copies of notes etc - all in the same bag as my netbook and... it will charge from the netbook or any other PC so no need to carry another charger. Battery life is very good... I use mine all the time and easily get through the week without having to charge it... it usually takes about an hour to fully charge it from flat.

Dave