Re: [LUG] Ebook readers

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:54:12 +0100
Stephen Cutts wrote:

> I'm using an android 10 inch tablet as my ebook reader much like Grant
> before me, honestly I couldn't really recommend mine in the least as
> an ebook reader considering most the stuff I deal with is in pdf
> format and the loading time between pages is something of a constant
> annoyance for me. One of my most referenced books for a pen and paper
> game I play is the core rule book around about 400 pages long and
> roughly A4 in size (at least the print version is). It can take
> several minutes to load a page, and this is with a tablet that
> roughly runs on a 1ghz processor with 256mb of ram. Not tried .epub
> books on here yet but I'm half expecting a similar result.

I have to agree - PDFs are a PITA on my tablet.  My wife has found that
using Calibre to convert PDFs into ePubs works nicely, but some readers
(Aldiko) seems to cut off the right hand side whereas Laputa doesn't.

I've found that reading ePubs on the tablet is a fairly painless
experience and doesn't take long.  Using Aldiko it takes a good 15
seconds to load the book and another good 5-10 seconds to load the
chapter.  Once the chapter is loaded, flicking between pages is pretty
fast - it's already in RAM so it's only a question of rendering it.

One of the things that I like about Aldiko is that abilty to invert it
(ie "night mode") and that when you run your finger up/down the left
hand side it inc/decreases the brightness.  There's a whole host of
other options as well - far too many to mention.

Grant.