Re: [LUG] Another phone scam

On 26/03/11 09:29, Paul Sutton wrote:

On 25/03/11 14:02, Martin Gautier wrote:
Hi

I've just taken a call from one of those "you-have-a-bunch_of_viruses_and-we-need-to-fix-you" scam phone calls.

I spent an amusing 35 minutes playing along listening to the guy getting more and more frustrated as I told him:

* I haven't got anything that says "start" or a menu on the bottom left, just a little purple box
* What's Internet Explorer? - I have a little orange fox icon
* No, I haven't got a red "X" on the right of my Window boxes (it's an orange "x" on the left)
* No, my window boxes aren't blue - they're grey/black
* I have a menu that says "Applications", "Places" & "System"

The website he wanted me to download from was http://www.ammyy.com and the program he wanted me to download is "AMMYY_Admin.exe". My Wine setup couldn't run it but that might just be me.

psutton@netbook:~$ whois www.ammyy.com/
No whois server is known for this kind of object.

interesting who is output on that domain

paul

http://whois.domaintools.com/ammyy.com

Seems to return better results...

Martin

He just hung up on me in the end - just after he asked me to reboot and he heard the Ubuntu drums rather than the Windows dinging.

I guess 35mins isn't that big a record but perhaps someone could try to beat it?

Martin