Re: [LUG] Another phone scam

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Martin Gautier
<martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just taken a call from one of those
> "you-have-a-bunch_of_viruses_and-we-need-to-fix-you" scam phone calls.
>
> I spent an amusing 35 minutes playing along listening to the guy getting
> more and more frustrated as I told him:
>
> * I haven't got anything that says "start" or a menu on the bottom left,
> just a little purple box
> * What's Internet Explorer? - I have a little orange fox icon
> * No, I haven't got a red "X" on the right of my Window boxes (it's an
> orange "x" on the left)
> * No, my window boxes aren't blue - they're grey/black
> * I have a menu that says "Applications", "Places" & "System"
>
> The website he wanted me to download from was http://www.ammyy.com and the
> program he wanted me to download is "AMMYY_Admin.exe". My Wine setup
> couldn't run it but that might just be me.
>
> He just hung up on me in the end - just after he asked me to reboot and he
> heard the Ubuntu drums rather than the Windows dinging.
>
> I guess 35mins isn't that big a record but perhaps someone could try to beat
> it?
>
> Martin

hahhaha! Brilliant! Good work Martin :-)

Given the chances of more than one member of the lug (200ish people?)
being contacted are arguable very low, it seems likely that the
volumes of calls these people are making is very high and so is
alarmingly wide spread? Perhaps they are literally just working there
way through all the numbers in the phone book!?

Well done.

best wishes
roly :-)