Re: [LUG] Royalty free standards for UK procurement

On 26/02/2011 09:53, James Kilty wrote:
> Hello
>
> I just came across this. I find it a bit too opaque - could someone
> explain it in simple language - will this lead to greater use of FLOSS?
> Is the EU now less open?
>
> http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20110225075112254

Simple:
- EU abandoned its rigid definition of 'royalty free' so EU is less FOSS
friendly.

- UK restates a rigid definition unless the Government Department has a
"> “clear business reasons why this is inappropriate.”

Unfortunately many a good departmental secretary can drive many coaches
and teams of horses through this exemption, if they draft a "department
is inoperable under current legislation unless we use XXX software as
this is only software our staff have been trained to use" memo.

Best solution I have seen implemented* is if department wants to use
proprietary software total initial and recurring licence costs must come
from salary pot of top ten executives in department. i.e a negative
bonus! It sorts out the real costs and why!

*non UK state where budget constraints were enforced.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald (eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Electronic mail is not secure and may not be authentic.
 If you have any doubts as to the contents please telephone to confirm.