Re: [LUG] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Help Please - Debian Lenny Disk

On 26/02/11 09:00, David Bell wrote:
On Friday 25 February 2011 18:45:14 David Hare wrote:
Why not  Squeeze? Lenny, is "oldstable"

I Like KDE - but not KDE4 - bloated, garish, glitz to my eyes :(

Can only agree with that......... that's why I'm using Trinity Desktop
(the KDE 3 fork)  on Squeeze, It runs very well.

Installed it last night and as you say, "It runs very well".

Many thanks for that tip:)

My other dislike of Squeeze is grub2. I cannot see why it is better. I use grub-legacy.

Trinity has a few bugs, being a fairly new project. But then, kde4 probably has more! I have run Trinity on Squeeze for the past year and find it good enough for everyday use. It is actively developed and good for the lifetime of Squeeze at least.

The main annoyance (for Debian users) is it was originally developed for Ubuntu and defaults to sudo. If you want to disable sudo there are some Xauth issues, I can post details of how to fix that.

The best way to install is probably from a Debian bizcard/netinstall with no desktop, then add Trinity repos in cli. To keep down bloat I use a "kicklist" of only the packages I want, that list can be passed to apt like this:

for i in $(cat kicklist-trinity); do apt-get install $i; done

Be careful installing kde4 apps, it will work but you will get most of kde4 pulled in as deps. All Trinity packages have a -trinity suffix, e.g. k3b-trinity and install to /opt/trinity.

I have been doing installable squeeze/trinity live cd builds recently, if anyone is interested, or would like want a copy of my kicklist, I will post details.