Re: [LUG] Own server

On 25/02/11 18:09, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Recently one of the list members mentioned that he had set up his own
server for his emails. At the time it didn't register. Can anyone tell
me anything about this please?

What are the advantages, if any, and is it very complicated? I have
looked around Google and it looks rather messy to me.

Anyone??

Neil

My 2c worth...

I've run my local email server for a good number of years. Initially this was on Lotus Domino (as I was doing a lot of consultancy in that area) but for the last 18 months I've used Citadel.

Citadel is great for those that just want to plug and play, it has it's own, reliable, installer (Quick Install) - which supports updates, is standards compliant and will do everything you'd need a mail server to do.

The drawback I suppose is that everything you need is built-in rather than using existing technologies such as postfix, dovecote, courier etc.

I'd also recommend this howto [http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix] as a different route to Citadel - I have a number of clients using a hardened version of this setup.

Regs
Martin