Re: [LUG] OT: Fibre to the cabinet

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gordon Henderson" <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:06 AM
Subject: Re: [LUG] OT: Fibre to the cabinet

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Andrew Pearce wrote:

According to bt's site my profile is currently 35915 Kbps, down slightly on what its been recently. Download speed for this test is 2789 Kbps. Upload speed max achievable speed is 10000 Kbps, currently got 331 Kbps. I've only noticed the upload problem over the last few days was ok for the first 2 weeks.

I hope this software upgrade BT are testing fixes it.

Sometimes I wonder if we're now at the stage where it's just too complex with too many interconnecting bits, therefore too much to go wrong.

I'm also concerned about the speedtests - e.g. are do the speedtest sites themselves actually have enough bandwidth to cope with the higher speeds - and is your PC actually up to running the speedtest? I recently triedto use the BT one - it needs Java to run - running it on a 500Mhz PC is not fun and produces really bad results, a simple 'wget' of a file from one of my servers runs the line at full speed... (as did an FTP of a file back up to it).

So who knows....

Personally, I think this chase for speed is nothing more than a marketing campaign - I'd still go for a reliable, low-contention line than a fast wobbly one, anyday of the week.

Gordon

The speed is definately a lottery at the moment.  Did another test a few
minutes ago, currently getting 24394 Kbps down, 8991 Kbps up. No idea
how long this will last.

The PC running the speedtest is certainly up to the job,  2.4 Ghz quad
core machine.

Andrew